Winter is still coming

fists

It’s been about 18 months since my last post, and in that time the land of GMO milk and honey has continued to curdle even further. I regret my self-imposed absence due to my law school studies and will do my best not to include words such as tortious interference or condition precedent in any subsequent posts. While I can’t promise to post with the frequency I used to, I will do my darnedest to offer readers yet another alt-reality from which to gather alt-facts so they, too, can come to alt-conclusions along with my fellow alt-Americans. Before discussing the POTUS WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED, I would like to offer the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe my most heartfelt praise for their overwhelmingly peaceful resistance. You know shit’s about to get real when the hippies show up and there’s not a fatty burrito in sight. You might say the government was caught between a standing still rock and a hard place. Alas, those same corporate interests driving the imposition of the Dakota Access Pipeline across sovereign and sacredly held lands have found a new savior in the POTUS WSNBN and the struggle is far from over.

(Photo credit: John Heminger)

(Photo credit: John Heminger)

(Photo credit: Annie Russell/VPR)

(Photo Credit: Annie Russell/VPR)

Women were also compelled to remind their fellow countrymen that it’s not just corporations who should be considered people, too. In 2017, women must still assert their rights to reproductive choice and autonomy over their own damn bodies. One can almost hear the heavy mouth breathers as they salivate over dismantling Roe v. Wade. The election of the Misogynist-in-Chief has not helped matters. In his first week of office, he has wielded his mighty pen like an overcompensating sword battling stage 4 erectile dysfunction. In one fell swoop, he has dismantled funding to humanitarian groups who advocate for access to abortions, banned refugees from war-torn Muslim countries, bound and gagged Smokey the Bear, and pledged to build a wall along the Mexican border (“We’d like one too,” signed, Canada). All of this while corporate capitalists continue their never-ending quest to privatize education and dismantle environmental regulations put in place so we can all eat, drink, and breathe merrily. Fortunately for us all, the sisters are doing it for themselves because that arc of the moral universe isn’t going to bend itself, now is it.

(Photo credit: Paul Weaver)

(Photo credit: Paul Weaver)

Another pressing concern in the sweet land of liberty is the rise of the white supremacists alt-right movement’s influence. The reality show known as the American Presidential elections culminated in the crowning of the alt-right’s prince not-so-charming (who still shall not be named). These stirrings have mirrored events in Europe where right-wing nationalist groups have risen to prominence, while deftly blaming immigrants and minorities for their economic and social ills. Conveniently, this shifting of blame prevents critical analysis of the increasing concentration in power and wealth among the robber baron class. In America we have been conditioned to venerate the lifestyles of the rich and famous and to hold the lower classes in contempt who keep on whining about affordable housing and healthcare. Sinclair Lewis may have been on to something when he presciently observed that fascism in America would come wrapped in a flag  and carrying a cross. In Westeros terms, winter is still coming and it is more important than ever that every man, woman, and alt-white walker continue to run, walk or cry out in solidarity against a system that perpetuates systemic inequality and injustice.

Peace and solidarity to all readers.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Social Justice and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Winter is still coming

1. Poli-V says:

Excellent! I was only wondering about you and what you’re up to this week.

2. delimitwolf says:

The white supremacy group are actually a tiny group of outspoken people. They don’t tend to come out of their holes until one of their own lands some power in government. If they saw a huge group of resistance protesters they’d ran back into their holes.

3. wolfess says:

Reblogged this on Wolfessblog — Guillotine mediocrity in all its forms! and commented:
    Because words are a terrible thing to waste, and shouting our words from the rooftops has become much more important in this age of the Orange [ape] Is the New Black! Oh, and as far as That Who Still Shall Not Be Named — you do the original a disservice by comparing this new one to the old one 🙂
    And finally … I have seriously missed you Jeff!!! So good to read your words again!

Liked by 1 person

Thank you for sharing, Wolfess. Its good to be back and I hope you are doing well!

• wolfess says:

It was such a pleasant surprise to check my email and find one from here!!! Things haven’t seemed as dreary today, and now the articles I read are making sense again … uh, not that your article made THAT much difference :-), just that your words spoke to me, and all the other ‘words’ I read today now jell! I don’t have to be angry, or depressed I can choose to keep fighting the good fight … and GUILLOTINES are still a good thing!!

Pwr 2 the PERSEVERING peons!
        GUILLOTINE TRUMPIAN MEDIOCRITY! (I know, I used that word, but ‘it’ goes with mediocrity 🙂

4. dolphin says:

Reblogged this on Dolphin and commented:
    Glad you have rejoined the ranks. Being a Boomer, I have a mature perspective of abortion that I didn’t have when young and seeing the women’s movement in full bloom. I’ve come to realize that there are women who are strong, but nurturing and they don’t believe in abortion. The women’s movement has been taken over by aggressive women who marginalized other women who valued their ability to give birth and valued staying home and nurturing children. It is sad that the women’s movement has twisted women’s nurturing to equal weakness. But I have finally been made aware of women who are strong, but nurturing, no thanks to feminists. Where did I see and observe these women? At Oceti Sakowin.

5. dolphin says:

Because the public discourse often makes the false equivalency between choice and abortion, many equivocate being pro choice as also being pro abortion. As a male, I consider any right to an opinion on this issue to be superseded by the fact that its not my body on the line. Ultimately, every woman should have the freedom to have autonomy over her own body. My personal opinions or wishes are secondary since its not my body that will have to bear the consequences, so to speak.

Good food for thought and good to hear you made it to ND. I’ll bet it was an interesting experience.

Liked by 2 people

6. cthebean says:

Welcome back Jeff. You have been missed.

7. kalison0515 says:

Love the GOT references. I have a name for this POTUS. It is “The Unmentionable.” He may end up unifying a majority of this country, despite best efforts to cast us as “The Other Side” instead of his “fellow Americans.” Here’s to La Resistance!

Liked by 2 people

8. Great to hear from you again. Hopefully law school is going well.

9. Welcome back, Jeff. Always good to hear voice. I hope law school is going well for you.

10. mytiturk says:

Welcome again, Jeff. The focus, I agree, needs to be broadened to include how we got here.

11. Lara/Trace says:

What they said + so happy to see you again!

12. Welcome back. What an 18 months it has been. Hope your studies went well. Roy

13. DesertAbba says:

So very good to see you back!! I’ve just organized an INDIVISIBLE group here in Union County, OH, a fiery red area – union.co.resistance@gmail.com – vive la resistance!

Liked by 2 people

14. sepultura13 says:

Reblogged this on Random Ramblings; Myriad Musings and commented:
    I saw this post, and had to share it. Haven’t seen this blogger in a while; it’s good to see his return to the blog-o-sphere!
    😎

15. sepultura13 says:

I’m glad to see you post again! Hope the studies are going well.

Excellent post! I hope you don’t mind if I re-blog it…it’s certainly worth sharing.

Liked by 1 person

16. Jeff, I’ve tried to be good, truly I have; I’ve waited patiently to see if someone else would bring this up. And of course I’m not saying it’s entirely your fault, no matter how satisfying it might be to pin the blame on someone.
    But … look what happens when you play hooky — the world hurtles toward hell at an appalling rate, like a runaway jamaican bobsled!
    So please, please stay with us –apparently you and your blog are essential to our survival! – Linda

Liked by 2 people

Ha, I already felt guilty for being away so long. If only I had kept blogging we might have chosen the lesser evil yet again in HRC. Or maybe we’re in a lot of trouble either way if we want to hold on this thing called democracy. I have missed your humor and insightfulness, my friend.

Liked by 2 people

• I’ve missed you too. And sad to say I have also slacked off myself — so how can I point fingers? But no more … probably. As Tubularsock says, all hands on deck — time to man the pumps. And build a better boat if we can’t patch this rotten conveyance. Have I mentioned it’s wonderful to have you back?

17. WeaverGrace says:

Great to see you back, Jeff. And great to see so many people turned out already to continue to wish you well. As the optimist that I am, this time of adversity can be fertilizer that’s as rotten as the shit that it is. I love seeing how it’s in people’s nature to join together for action.

Liked by 3 people

Thank you much, Grace. It’s great to see how many fellow bloggers are still around. I like the fertilizer analogy, the current POTUS’s bull-in-a-china shop approach may have unintended consequences. Hopefully, more people will start to move past the current figurehead and look closer at the policies and institutions that keep this whole system churning and spitting out people like refuse.

• WeaverGrace says:

Yes, we know what it’s like to suffer “unintended consequences”. May he have a potent learning experience (I can’t wish him ill).

I share your hope that “more people will start to move past the current figurehead and look closer at the policies and institutions that keep this whole system churning and spitting out people like refuse.” Refuse and fertilizer are two different things.

Best wishes to you always…

18. petrel41 says:

Welcome back! Best wishes for you and your blog 🙂

19. lexborgia says:

This battle will be long, hard and yuuuge, you returned just in time. Welcome back, Kotter.

Liked by 1 person

20. Good to hear from you Jeff, with your pen mightier than the sword.

Liked by 2 people

Thank you, Bruce. Curious to hear how Canadians feel about the elections. Need to check out your blog soon.

• Hi Jeff… as we have been able , Fran and I have enjoyed traveling to the U.S. on half a dozen or more occasions over the past 12 years. On our latest visit this past October, we said that if Trump were to be elected we could not (in good conscience), travel to America while he is president. Now, over the past week since the new administrations inauguration, and for example, the recent US denial of entry to many Muslims (most especially refugees) – this has confirmed our resolve! I’m astounded at what has happened to the American spirit – “give me your tired, your poor your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”? In solidarity with all who struggle against US hegemony (and fascism in general) Fran and I will boycott our US visits. And we will observe with care to see what else we must do. All caring people of the world have our work cut our for us. On the down side, for so many people life seems to be more about things and money, than about the well being of people and relationships. On the up side, there are many people who give more than take. (Francis keeps me up-to-date and she shared me this link to Naomi Kleins’ take on Trump and his cronies… so, from another fellow Canadian…) https://www.thenation.com/article/trumps-crony-cabinet-is-full-of-scared-losers/

Liked by 1 person

I admire Fran’s and your willingness to follow your conscience. I’ve long admired Naomi Klein’s work as well. Her book “Shock Doctrine” is must reading for understanding the how and why of economic and geo-political events that have unfolded in the past few decades.

Peace to you and yours, Bruce.

Liked by 1 person

wonderful encouragement of peaceful resistance
    and, dare i say
    hopefully survival
    of people and all
    living beings!
    investments in fear,
    hate and totalitarianism
    has paid off in trumps 🙂

Liked by 2 people

22. Jeff, As others have already said so well — welcome back, we have missed your voice and vision, more than you know. If this is your only post for 2017 (and I fervently hope it will not be!) the year won’t be a complete waste. Though it may be hard to remember that, as we plow through these interminable painfully interesting times
    But hey, if progress was easy, even those who shall not be named (at least not in polite terms) might make a stab at it. I wish you peace and solidarity, as always, and hope we all have enough strength, courage and faith in our comrades to carry on. – Linda.

Liked by 5 people

I’m excited to check out your blog soon and appreciate the support and solidarity, as always. I’ve been buried in books studying but whenever I come up for air it seems like mostly the same partisan debates that have always taken place.

Hopefully, we start moving towards unity and the various movements for women’s, LGBT, black lives, rights can come together rather than try to fight this battle on their own.

I’m looking forward to blogging in again and checking in with my fellow bloggers in the struggle. I wish there was this much diversity of thoughts and ideas in the mainstream but that may be like waiting for godot. Fortunately, there’s no lack of civil discourse and provocative discussions in blogs such as yours, Linda.

Liked by 3 people

23. Good to hear from you again, Jeff. Having just come through 9 years under another of the He Who Shall Not Be Named tribe (are they multiplying?) in Canada, we’re finally getting a breath of fresh air under Justin Trudeau. Yet already he’s mostly reneged on his Paris Climate Summit commitments, so we know who really runs the show, don’t we? As Naomi Klein said to Amy Goodman on Inauguration Day, with the Big T administration Goldman Sachs has merely eliminated the middleman. Hang in there!

Liked by 2 people

PM Trudeau has made some decent gestures such as welcoming refugees when other countries are closing the doors on them. I need to get up to speed on some of his other policies.

I will forever be envious of your national healthcare system. It’s obscene the political posturing taking place over Obamacare, and how many people would rather deny poor people healthcare than consider a single-payer system.

Liked by 4 people

24. Welcome back, Jeff.

Peace, my friend.

Good to be back. I leave for 18 months and look what happens! All heck breaks loose and we elect He Who Shall Not Be Named as POTUS.

Peace and solidarity to you, as well.

Liked by 3 people

• 🙂 I hope you’re doing well with the law studies and still feel it’s the direction you want to go in. Actually, I know you’ll do well.

Are you ready for a cold winter? I believe this cold winter is going to bring a thawing of apathy and a shift in awareness with a warm spring.

Liked by 1 person

Actually, I do enjoy law school in some ways more as an older student than if I would have gone earlier. I’m looking to do family and civil rights law, maybe some criminal law, and working as a substitute teacher for now.

As long as the blame for our country’s problems are pointed at a single person or party, we will continue to miss the big picture. It will be interesting to see if the momentum for political consciousness that the unnameable POTUS has stirred up will be sustained.

Hope you’re doing well also.

Liked by 4 people

• If the results of the 2016 election don’t stir the masses to a heightened sense of awareness of our shared predicament, can anything?

Liked by 1 person

25. Sinclair Lewis — I’d forgotten he was that prescient. He had our number!

26. EmaBeesArt says:

thank you! so glad to read your thoughts. good luck with law school!

Thank you, Emabee. Your blog’s artwork and photography was always a balm from reading so much disheartening news. Good to know you’re still sharing your beauty with a world that needs it now more than ever.

27. tubularsock says:

Welcome back to you Jeff! Tubularsock guesses you noticed that the ship of state has sunk to the bottom of Democracy lake. Been leaking for some time as you are aware.

So all hands on deck will be more necessary than ever.

The fun part is that when you start from the very bottom of the bottom success is only in one direction.

So glad you’re here!

Liked by 3 people

My optimistic side says maybe this is what it will take to get more people to become politically conscious but in most of the critiques I see, the focus is solely on He Who Shall Not Be Named rather than the systemic issues themselves. Even if he was removed from office there will always be someone waiting in the wings willing to serve the corporate capitalist class.

Good to hear from you and looking forward to checking out your latest commentaries. So glad to be back, Tubular.

Liked by 2 people

28. It is good to see you Jeff, if only sporadically and you did indeed come back smoking hot and with a plate full. Things look more and more grim from where I sit and I have no idea if we are up to the challenge as we have been asleep for decades.

It is not as though, he who shall remain nameless, crept up on us because we have been heading in his direction. And Obama, after exiting stage left, heralded in, again, he who shall remain nameless. It is my opinion that the way was paved for Big Cheeto! Oh, my bad! I named he should have remained, nameless.

Again, great to see you!

Liked by 4 people

29. Your return is such a gift, Jeff. In peaceful resistance and solidarity, dear friend.

Liked by 4 people

Feel free to share your thoughts and join the discussion. Every voice counts and every voice matters in the struggle. (Email, name and website are optional).