All those things that don’t change

Well, I saw a cardinal hopping around the trees this past weekend at a local state park. Spring winds are blowing but the winds of winter still don’t want to release their icy grip. It seems like the new regime was absent on the day their teacher showed the video on how a bill is made. The (overturned) travel ban on seven Muslim countries and (fabled) Mexican wall are mere warmups to the war on non-white billionaires that the new POTUS represents.  Meanwhile, the (hardly) Affordable Care Act 2.0 also makes it clear that Donald Trump doesn’t care about poor people. More people will suffer needlessly and go without needed healthcare and life-saving treatment, as if the ACA 1.0 wasn’t already a big enough give away to the insurance industry. Apparently, there are uber-wealthy private donors and corporate persons for politicians to repay for their seat at the table. We have also been reminded that not all veterans and their families are created equal, especially Pakistani-American ones. However, the most worrisome winds that are swirling in the sweet land of liberty are those giving life to what was once dead in post-war Europe. The white nationalist movement has found its great emancipator in the new chief strategist for the fuhrer-in-chief. Now, more closeted bigots can finally feel free to show their true colors, er, white pride, and let their freak flags fly. One final note, my apologies for not visiting more of my fellow bloggers, please don’t take my lack of commenting as lack of mutual support. Every voice counts and every voice is needed in the struggle.

Peace and solidarity to all readers (especially the non-Aryan ones).

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Music and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to All those things that don’t change

1. desilef says:

Good to hear your voice again.

Liked by 1 person

2. Jeff, Thanks for keeping us posted! Of course now I have an even stronger urge to head for Canada, or most anywhere that might be saner. Except where is that? As you note, hatred, ignorance and cruelty are back in fashion. They’re still uglier than platform shoes, and more dangerous. – Linda

Liked by 1 person

It’s hard to believe a person like Bannon has such influence over a POTUS. I guess meritocracy is for the serfs. Work harder and one day you too can lead…or just make millions in donations from you family fortune like Devos to get a seat at the table.

Liked by 1 person

3. Neil Young is so cool…

neil offers soothing accompaniment
    to this collective failure to recognize
    the wisdom of non-discrimination
    between people, animals, plants
    & the earth 🙂

Liked by 2 people

5. sepultura13 says:

“Peace and solidarity to all readers (even the non-Aryan ones.)”

Shouldn’t that read: “ESPECIALLY the non-aryan ones”?

Saying “even” implies that you believe the fallacy that being “aryan” is the normal, “right” way to be…and makes one question who you believe the majority of your readers / followers are.

6. wolfess says:

Uh-merikka sure has a habit of demonizing the citizens of countries the ‘Deep State’ insists we go to war with, and far too many of our fellow peons are only too happy to be brainwashed. I can’t bring myself to apologize for our elected terrorists (or those who vote for them) who are one standard deviation below the mean, but I can say that I am thankful for all those human beings who make this country a place that is at least tolerable — thank you Jeff. 🙂 Now the poem on the Statue of Liberty describes those of us who yearn to break free [of this country]! Have we lost our humanity, or is it just that with the dolt in power we no longer even try to keep our worst instincts in check?

No need to apologize for other people’s actions but your solidarity is appreciated, Wolfess. It does appear there are some factions that feel emboldened to come out of the bigotry/misogyny closet. Hopefully, their actions are also awakening more people to counterbalance the hate and intolerance.

Liked by 1 person

• wolfess says:

” Hopefully, their actions are also awakening more people to counterbalance the hate and intolerance.” Don’t you think that’s why all these protests are happening — especially the ones that are welcoming all immigrants? I don’t get it — this country always used to be referred to as the great melting pot; we are ALL immigrants!

So happy to be able to converse with you my friend 🙂

I agree the ideal is the country as a melting pot but sometimes it seems like we’re more like a boiling pot about to run over. Especially when certain interests are fanning the flames of divisiveness.

It’s always good to hear from you as well. Thank you for adding to the discourse.

Liked by 1 person

7. wolfess says:

We certainly do seem to be a boiling pot these days, don’t we? Good choice of words Jeff! 😀 **Not sure that boiling pot running over is a total negative — I have been quite impressed with the protesters over the past 2 months, they are certainly “using their words” and expressing their anger in positive ways; I would even go so far as to say that the Standing Rock Sioux’ set the tone with their peaceful, determined protesting.

8. Jeff, I’m so glad that you wrote this particular piece, as many Americans (including myself) are still horrified by what happened to get the Demander-in-Chief elected, what’s happened so far and what’s in store for us over the next several years. Of everything Holocaust survivor and Nobel Laureate Elie Wiesel has voiced over the years, this particular quote stands out above all the rest: “Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented…”
    Whether it’s through his countless non-disclosure agreements, threats of physical violence or violation of our civil/human rights, Donald Trump is a tormentor and the Standing Rock Sioux protesters that Wolfess mentioned are proving that we can’t be neutral in these times. You either support Trump or you don’t.The Neil Young part was cool, but you didn’t mention his song “Ohio.”

Ironically, I am taking a Constitutional Law class this semester. Let’s just say the POTUS is really making the material come alive for me. I wasn’t aware of the NDAs and wonder how those apply to public officials acting in their official capacities. By his appointments, executive orders, and rampant Tweeting, it is evident he has little regard for the public good and is intent on achieving the neoliberal dream of “free” markets unencumbered by regulatory oversight and anemic social welfare spending. In short, he has been a billionaire’s dream come true.

In my defense, I did share Neil Young’s “Ohio” in a previous post: https://deconstructingmyths.com/2013/03/21/what-if-you-knew-her/

Thank you, Erin, for your thoughtful and prescient comments.

• Oh, sorry I didn’t see the Neil Young “Ohio” in a previous post – please read my upcoming blog posting and you’ll understand why… It’s funny that you mention the NDAs, because the other day I was thinking about how his unreleased tax returns were small potatoes compared to the collective plague of locusts within the technically-legal-but-unethical-and-clearly-coerced agreements to keep mouths shut.

I wonder if those NDAs will hold up against FOIA requests. He’s not doing too well with this whole separation of powers thing so far. Let me know when your new blog post is up.

9. Just saw your reply now, and yes, my new blog posting is up. 🙂 Jeff, the NDAs, wife 3.0 (aka Melania) and their son Baron being kept in Trump Tower with NYC taxpayer dollars – if this isn’t proof that the Executive branch of the American government needs some serious pruning, then I don’t know what is. When someone is sworn in as Commander-in-Chief, they have an obligation to transparency and integrity of information. This isn’t partisanship at all; if now-former POTUS Obama was doing this shit, I’d be equally outraged.

Feel free to share your thoughts and join the discussion. Every voice counts and every voice matters in the struggle. (Email, name and website are optional).